What is the Best Time to Feed Catfish?
Many farmers have been complaining about the quantity of feed that waste while trying to feed their catfish and this has necessitated this write-up on “what is the best time feed”
Understand that there are different factors that could result in your catfish not eating. Some of which could be a result of stress, sickness, or environmental changes.
To ensure that the feed does not waste, it is advisable to feed catfish when they are most active. There are other factors that could make your fish not to eat as expected. Some of these factors include but are not limited to water quality and common catfish diseases.
Before we lose focus, let’s look at the best time to feed our catfish. The essence of this post is to minimize waste at all costs.
Best Time to Feed Catfish
Experts in catfish farming maintained that the best feeding time for catfish largely depends on two things:
1. their natural feeding behaviour and
2. the specific conditions in which they are kept.
According to general belief, catfish are most active and responsive to feeding when the weather is not too hot or too cold. This period is usually between 10 to 10:30 am in the morning and 5 to 6 pm in the evening.
Here are a few points to always remember:
1. Morning and evening: Catfish are generally more active during the early morning and late evening. These are good times to feed them because they are actively searching for food. Just like humans, they have their breakfast and dinner times.
In the evening time, feed them between 5 and 6 pm. By that time they have had time to digest their earlier meals. By this time, they have likely used up the energy gained from their morning feed and are ready for another meal. Feeding them in the late afternoon also allows them to store enough energy for the night when they are less active.
2. Warm temperatures: Catfish tend to be more active and can respond to feeding when the weather is warm. As water temperature increases, their metabolism and appetite rise. So, during this time, it’s best to feed them.
3. Maintain a regular feeding schedule: It is important to note that catfish are opportunistic feeders, which means they will eat whenever food is available. So if you have a regular feeding schedule that suits your routine, your catfish will adjust accordingly. Consistency is key in establishing a feeding routine for your catfish.
Feeding catfish at the right time ensures their health and growth. In general, the best time to feed them is during their active periods when they are most likely to eat and utilize the food efficiently.
Feeding catfish in the morning, hours shortly after sunrise, is a good time because the fish are usually hungry after a night of rest.
Ensure you give your catfish balanced and suitable feed that matches their species and size. It’s crucial to seek guidance from a veterinarian or a fish expert who has knowledge about catfish to obtain specific feeding guidelines for your catfish.
Searching for the best time to feed your catfish is good but giving them quality feed is more important for their growth.
Leave a Reply