Are you an intending farmer searching for necessary tools and equipment used or needed in fish farming? This article promises to reveal to you those fish farm tools and equipment.
It also answered the most asked questions in the industry “what are the equipment needed for fish farming”.
As we move on, understand that for every business venture, there are tools or materials that must be made available if the business must succeed. The same is applicable to fish farming.
The level of one’s knowledge in any business venture the greater the command he gains in that field.
What do I mean by that?
This piece is focused on showing you some of the compulsory tools used in fish farming for the day-to-day running of the business. These types of equipment are necessary whether you operate on a small, medium, or large scale.
Note that fish farming is not a get-rich-quick scheme but for those who are committed to working hard, who enjoy nature and wildlife, and for those who understand the business of farming.
Fish farming is a good business with a promising return on investment (ROI) if you understand the nitty-gritty. You can seek expert advice before your venture into the business. Meanwhile, if you are a new farmer you need to find out how to raise capital to venture into farming. You may need it someday.
Start small, get the process right, then grow in a manageable way. It’s especially great if fish farming can be done in addition to other agricultural efforts on a hobby farm. Before we digress, let’s see some of these tools and equipment used in fish farming.
Fish Farming Tools and Equipment
The list of materials and equipment you may require is vast and far more comprehensive than what can be listed simply, but it’s also specific to the situation in which you work.
What are the equipments needed for fish farming? If you have ever asked this question as an intending fish farmer, here are they.
- Weighing Scale: This is used for measuring the weight or quantity of feed to be given. The weighing scale is used by the fish farmer to know if the fish are gaining or losing weight. After the weighing process, if the fish are gaining weight, that means they are healthy growing, but on the contrary, if they are losing it, that simply means they are not on track.
- Boots and Overall: These are farm work-wear which makes working on the farm comfortable.
- Bowls: This is used for feeding.
- Wheelbarrow: This is used for carrying feed from the store to the fish pond.
- Inlet and Outlet Pipe: It is for supplying and draining water.
- Record Book: It serves accounting purposes.
- Aerator: This supplies oxygen in fish ponds. It increases or improves the dissolved oxygen of the pond. For tanks or stagnant water, aerators and diffusers are needed to circulate oxygen and diffuse air as bubbles for better dispersion for the fish. Aeration devices allow you to have more fish in less space as well. Fish farmers are finding that with recirculation aquaculture systems, or RAS, they can even grow fish inside tanks housed in buildings. The aeration devices also make it easier to recycle the water after removing impurities.
- Back-up generators/ Solar: Light-generating set is critical because power failure means aeration systems fail, which can be fatal in minutes for crowded tanks. Though one can do without a generator, it could be necessary when pumping water into the pond.
- Sorting Table: It’s for grouping fish into different sizes. Meanwhile, a table or smooth surface can serve.
- Keg: It’s used for transporting fingerlings, post fingerlings, and juveniles within the pond after sorting.
- Hapa Net: It’s a cage-like, rectangular, or square net impoundment placed in a pond for holding fish for various purposes.
- Cover Net: It’s for preventing predators like toads, frogs, and snakes
- Filtration System: This is critical for tanks, unnatural bodies of water, and any other above-ground method of fish farming since it regulates the quantities of things like ammonia and nitrites, and nitrates in the water.
- Handling and Grading Equipment: As you harvest the fish, you must grade them by size. Belts rapidly move fish from the seine to the holding tank. During the transfer, grading equipment can sort them into as many as three different grades. You can also count the fish at this point with counting equipment. Once the fish are graded, they go into transfer tank trucks with special aerators. The fish go to market in the tank trucks.
- Thermometre: We all know that this device is used in measuring temperature. Yes, the importance of a thermometer in a fish farm is mainly to keep an eye on the temperature of the water. This tool is a must-have especially when you are hatching.
Tools and equipment used in fish farming perform different functions making the farming experience easier. Farmers who are struggling financially can fabricate some of the equipment and still grow large table fish.
Without proper equipment and the right tools, fish farming and farmers themselves would struggle with basic tasks. Tasks like counting, sorting, harvesting, and proper oxygenation of the water.
Understand that small, medium, and large scale fish farms use similar equipment to carry out daily tasks and functions. So, whatever you can afford is fine, if not, local fabrication won’t be a bad idea.
You may wish to see the installation of one of my recommended fish farming tools and equipment in the YouTube video below.
What are the equipments needed for fish farming you think we did not add in this post. Use the comment section to send in your own list.